Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Looking for advice on first bushcrafting trip


Sorry, I tried to post this as a comment in another thread from today, but that thread was quickly deleted after i posted!?I'm on the east coast of Canada, planning my first "bushcraft" expedition, if you can call it that, this saturday. I've watched a ton of this guy's videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUPS6Jh8YeUI don't even know how I stumbled onto them, but they intrigued the hell out of me and I kept watching for hours over the last week or two. Something bringing back childhood memories, I imagine, who knows.. Anyway, I wanna do it, and eventually wanna bring my kids for a night in the woods, but first daddy should probably figure things out...On this first trip, my only plan is to try and find a suitable location that isn't terribly far into the wilderness, set up a fire pit and maybe something to sit on. A few hours in the woods, I suppose. Seems like a good first step, to me? Future trips, maybe to the same location, maybe not? I'll see how things progress from here, baby steps!I found a good online map of crown lands (government owned, public property, not sure what they call this in other parts of the world?) and it allows me to tell the difference between protected lands, conservation areas, and just regular crown lands. I gave the Department of Natural Resources a call, government folks, just to make sure I was understanding things correctly. They say a fire is fine, don't nail anything into trees, and only cut down dead wood. Cool, that's what dude in the videos told me! My online-map scouting seems to indicate it could be an OK place to walk through, I was able to drive to about 1.5km away from the corner of the crown land, So i'll give it a shot!I have acquired a middling quality knife, a folding saw, emergency blanket, 50 ft of utility cord, flint and steel from a local store. I didn't go all out on these, for now. I also have a decent flashlight, a relatively large axe, plenty of clothing layers, hat, gloves, an old pot I can bring along, a good water bottle, a steak and bits of other food... What else am I forgetting about? I could really use a decent "bare necessities for a day in the woods" list, was hoping to find one in the FAQ for this subreddit. Then another "overnight in the woods" supply list for some future trip.My experience level: I was in the woods a lot as a pre-teen, built a lot of treehouses with my younger brothers, had a lot of battles with sticks! Made a fire back there once at about 13 years old, mom thought we were smoking cigs, caught some real shit for that, never tried it again.. Started smoking when I was 26 though, thanks MOM! Nowadays, well... I'm pretty good with the charcoal BBQ? I do some backyard fires in the summer? Otherwise, I never get to the woods anymore. I have some semi-decent knowledge from my childhood of various types of trees and dangers in the woods, I suppose. http://ift.tt/2hegzWb

No comments:

Post a Comment