Friday, December 16, 2016

I like the show 'Alone' on History channel, but something bugs me about it...


I do like the show, it certainly gives a nice view of the psychology involved in a survival situation, especially when alone. One fellow put it very nicely (paraphrasing here) "when you're surviving with other people, it's easier to ignore the hardships. But when you're alone, it's much more difficult". Which I thought was a very important factor, especially if you're with a loved one and not a stranger.However, one thing that bugs me is that I haven't seen anyone build a fish weir (Allan in the first season makes a nice fish trap) or bird snares/traps.Is there a reason for this that I'm not seeing? Admittedly, I skipped a few episodes in season 1 and 2 but I would have thought they'd show these things more than once, if they made them.This season, they're in Patagonia, and bamboo is plentiful so there is plenty of opportunity to make a weir. And a bit of string, and some more bamboo, would make some very nice bird traps (the kind that triggers when the bird lands on the perch/trigger).So, why did we not see anything like this on the show?Please note; I'm not criticising the contestants, this must have been a very tough challenge, I'm just curious, as these are the first things I thought of to catch food. http://ift.tt/2gSvERk

No comments:

Post a Comment