Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Going beyond minimalism as a wilderness survival exercise.


During my last overnight outing, I decided to go with even less gear than I usually bring. I packed a sleeping mat, 0 degree bag, bic lighter, steel water bottle, some cordage, some emergency rations, and a solid pocket knife.I had a very nice night, built a fire, tried out that thing where you boil water in the bottle using a stick on a string to suspend it. Worked fine, took a while to cool the water until I could drink it. Stayed comfortable in my bag. I even woke up in the middle of the night to hear a buck making a rub on a tree probably a dozen yards away.Anyway. It got me thinking. On other occasions, I've gone for a hike in the woods and gotten sleepy after a while, and just laid down on the ground and took a nap. Never had a problem with slugs or ticks or anything, though that changes with the seasons.Maybe in 2017 I'll practice going even more minimal. I think this would be a great way to learn what gear I really cannot do without, what gear can now be replaced with knowledge. Maybe I'll just bring a pocket knife, a bottle of water, and a snack. Just spend the night out there, get comfortable with having almost nothing. Probably even stay within eyesight of the car.What do you think? Anyone want to try it with me and share stories? http://ift.tt/2haGC3l

No comments:

Post a Comment